The Iridian Gallery at Diversity Richmond is now accepting proposals for work in all media for our 2024 exhibition calendar. As the only LGBTQ gallery in the south and one of the few in the nation we strive to serve the queer community and amplify the voices of its artists. While preference will be given to LGBTQ+ artists, work by allies that speak to the experiences of our community will also be considered. Iridian is especially dedicated to presenting work by artists who intersectionally identify with other underrepresented groups. We encourage artists of diverse races, nationalities, ethnicities, beliefs, genders, ages, and abilities to apply.
You may apply for a solo show, with a group of artists, or propose an exhibition that you would like to curate. We may also choose to group selected artists when deemed appropriate. Evaluation of proposals and curatorial decisions will be made by representatives of the Iridian Gallery committee made up of local artists, arts educators and leaders, and community members.
Our proposal deadline for Calendar Year 2024 is August 11, 2023, and applicants should be notified by the end of September. Please share or tag your artist friends. Any proposals received after the August 11 date will be saved for the next year.
Please send all proposals and questions by email to:
The Iridian Gallery at Diversity Richmond is committed to fostering lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer+ artists and their community by exhibiting their art as well as work that relates to their experience.
All proposals will be submitted by email only and must be in the formats described below.
- 1. Include up to 10 images of your best work. The submission should ideally include images of work you would include in your exhibition. If this is not possible, the images should represent works that are comparable to those that will be featured in the exhibition.
These images should be JPGS no larger than 1024 x 768, 72dpi, preferably under 1MB.
They MUST be named in this format:
- 2. If applicable, send videos of specific works which will be included in the exhibition. Videos should be shared via web link, Dropbox or other ftp service. Please do not email videos.
- 3. Prepare a one-page statement describing the concept of the exhibition. The file should be a PDF, RTF, or Word document.
- 4. Supply an image list providing an inventory of the images submitted. Include number, artist name, title, year, medium, and dimensions. This must be a PDF, RTF, or Word document.
- 5. Your resume and the resumes of any prospective collaborators.
Proposals that are incomplete or fail to meet the above requirements may not be reviewed by the jury.
After the August 11, 2023 deadline, Iridian Gallery continues to have an open submission policy for art exhibitions. We accept proposals via email at all times.