The Iridian Gallery at Diversity Richmond is now accepting proposals for work in all mediums for our 2022 exhibition calendar. As the only LGBTQ gallery in the south and one of the few in the nation we strive to serve the queer community and amplify the voices of its artists. While preference will be given to LGBTQ+ artists, work by allies that speak to the experiences of our community will also be considered. Evaluation of proposals and curatorial decisions will be made by representatives of the Iridian Gallery Committee made up of local artists, arts educators and leaders, and community members.
You can apply for a solo show (though sometimes we curate artists together in pairs), apply with a group of artists, or propose an exhibition that you would like to curate. Our proposal deadline for Calendar Year 2022 is September 1, 2020 and applicants should be notified by October. Please share or tag your artist friends. Any proposals received after the September 1 date will be saved for the next year. The Exhibition Committee may choose to meet at other times as need arises. After proposals are reviewed all entrants, chosen or not, will be contacted by the end of those meeting months.
Send proposals and Questions email to:
The Iridian Gallery at Diversity Richmond is committed to fostering lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer+ artists and their community by exhibiting their art as well as work that relates to their experience.
All proposals submitted MUST be in the formats described below.
1. Up to 10 images of your work. The images should ideally represent the actual work selected for the exhibition. If this is impossible, the images should represent works that are comparable to those that will be featured in the exhibition.
These images should be JPGS, no larger than 1024 x 768, 72dpi, preferably under 1MB. They MUST be named in this format:
2. If applicable send videos of specific works which will be included in the exhibition. Videos should be shared via Dropbox or other ftp service. Please do not email videos.
3. A one-page statement describing the concept of the exhibition. The file should be a PDF, RTF, or Word document.
4. An image list providing an inventory of the images submitted. Include number, artist name, title, year, medium, and dimensions. Again, make it PDF, RTF, or Word document.
5. Your resume and the resumes of any prospective collaborators.
Proposals that are incomplete or fail to meet the above requirements may not be submitted to the jury.
After the September 1, 2020 deadline, Iridian Gallery continues an open submission policy for art exhibitions. We accept proposals via email at all times. The Iridian Gallery Committee Members plan to continue to meet once a year to evaluate and curate future exhibitions.