Since 1999, Diversity Richmond has contributed nearly $1Million to local LGBT and LGBT-friendly nonprofits. This is made possible mainly by Diversity Thrift and Diversity Bingo proceeds. Diversity also bestows thousands of dollars each year by donating free meeting and storage space to nonprofits.
Those organizations funded this year are:
- Twin Oaks Community, $500 to support the community rural outreach;
- Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities, $1,000 to conduct workshops addressing bullying to Henrico County School administrators;
- Alzheimer’s Association, $1,000 to continue LGBT memory loss support groups;
- Jewish Family Services, $1,000 to help defray adoption expenses for LGBT people;
- Richmond Triangle Players, $1,500 to support Spectrum, the only youth program for queer youth in the Commonwealth;
- Senior Connections, $1,500 to continue outreach to senior LGBT people;
- Virginia Anti-Violence Project, $1,500 to help LGBT people impacted by violence;
- Health Brigade, $1,500 to fund the clinic’s transgender services;
- Side By Side, $1,500 to train youth as public speakers and ambassadors;
- Planned Parenthood, $2,000 to fund transgender services;
- Nationz Foundation, $2,500 to increase HIV-testing.